Learning Brazilian Guitar Forums Suggestions EGBERTO GISMONTI – Frevo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

“Frevo” is one of my all time favorite tunes as played by Egberto Gismonti in the specific version (09:17 ) for solo piano in his ECM album “Solo” (1985) .

There were many attempts for a guitar solo arrangement (or even duo) , maybe the most remarkable is by Marco Pereira but none of them includes the divine middle part (from about 03:04 to 5:51) as played in this particular version.

I’d say that when even great artists such as Assad brothers or (another favorite of mine) Ulisses Rocha did not even get close then the challenge is getting even harder!
      I would be grateful if you made your own arrangement , with the kind request to include the aforementioned excellent middle part.
      I am pretty sure that the result would surprise all Gismonti fans !

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatarjohnnyguitar.
    • RenatoRenato

Hi Chris,
      you are overestimating my ability to write guitar arrangements. I have an arrangement for this song, but it doesn’t have that part you mentioned and I was never able to play it reasonably. Too hard.

Participant

What if anyone tried to arrange the divine Ravel’s “Une Barque sur L’Ocean” for guitar ?
      He should be certainly considered as a bad taste … lunatic !!

There are definitely piano pieces that are simply unplayable for guitar (even in the case of … a Japanese guitar robot with 78 fingers and 22 arms !) but Frevo has this gentle middle part that gives us the chance to compensate the frenzied initial tempo with something so poetic and guitaristic , so please think it again !!
      I trust you …

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Avatarjohnnyguitar.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.