Learning Brazilian Guitar Forums Introductions Olá da Austrália

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Olá Renato,

Estou aprendendo Português Brasileira e seu lições ajuda muito.

A música brasileira é a melhor do mundo. Obrigado por compartilhar.

Também sua barba é magnífica.

Saúde!

Joel (Gringo Australiano)

• RenatoRenato

Olá Joel, adorei a designação de Gringo Australiano, hahaha.
      Que bacana que você está aprendendo português brasileiro. É um pouco raro as pessoas quererem aprender nosso idioma. Tenho notado que quem fala inglês normalmente procura aprende o espanhol como segunda língua. E fico feliz que as lições estejam te ajudando. Acabei de gravar a próxima aula sobre como tocar e cantar a canção “O pato” e em breve ela estará disponível para os membros.

PS. A barba serve para esconder a cara feia que eu tenho.

Grande abraço,
      Renato.

Participant

Hi Renato,

Sorry for the late reply. And sorry for replying in English but I’m a bit strapped for time and I’d butcher your beautiful language if I rushed a response in Portuguese…

I wish I’d thought of Gringo Australiano when I’d signed up so it could be my username haha.

In Australia we don’t even speak English properly so it’s rare for any of us to learn our own language let alone another culture’s…

It’s a shame because Portuguese is such an amazingly expressive language and I don’t think English can achieve the same level of expression of emotions as simply as Portuguese can. You guys have so many more sounds in your speech and so many more words than English and I think it really shows when you meet Brazilians (and your music too). All the Brazilians I’ve met are so expressive and emotional in your speech/body language and it’s always really obvious how you’re feeling. Makes you guys really fun to be around :) Us Europeans/Australians are more reserved and it’s a bit weird for us to be upfront about our emotional state so it’s good to learn how to express yourself with another culture / language / music.

Don’t get me started on people confusing Spanish and Portuguese…

Anyways, I thought I’d let you know you’re an incredible teacher even though I haven’t met you haha. Your foundational lessons are set out so well and I feel like I know the exact path I’m on to learn Brazilian Guitar and I know all the various elements to go through as I’m learning this style. I also really appreciate the pronunciation guides – it’s so hard to find good resources on Portuguese pronunciation :)

You’re a bloody legend (there’s some aussie slang for you – it means awesome person just in case you didn’t know).

Ciao,

Joel.

• RenatoRenato

Hi Joel,
      Dude, what can I say after your kind words? Thanks, thanks, and thanks over and over again.

Yes, Gringo Australiano would be a singular username. Hahaha.

In Australia we don’t even speak English properly so it’s rare for any of us to learn our own language let alone another culture’s…

LOL!!!

It’s a shame because Portuguese is such an amazingly expressive language and I don’t think English can achieve the same level of expression of emotions as simply as Portuguese can. You guys have so many more sounds in your speech and so many more words than English and I think it really shows when you meet Brazilians (and your music too). All the Brazilians I’ve met are so expressive and emotional in your speech/body language and it’s always really obvious how you’re feeling. Makes you guys really fun to be around :) Us Europeans/Australians are more reserved and it’s a bit weird for us to be upfront about our emotional state so it’s good to learn how to express yourself with another culture / language / music.

Maybe Portuguese has more words than English, but man, I’m reading a book with my English teacher to improve my pronunciation and I’ve realised that English has so many words to describe body gestures and behavior that it is impossible to memorize all of them. Each way of laughing has a different word to describe it. My gosh!!!

I don’t know what’s worse, confusing Portuguese and Spanish or thinking that Buenos Aires is the capital of Brazil…Hahaha

Thanks again for your kind words.
      Renato

Participant

Hi Renato,

“Thanks, thanks, and thanks over and over again.” So Brazilian haha – you’re welcome man / de nada.

Oh yeah English would have a lot more words for body languages and gestures since we use all that to hide our feelings haha. But we don’t have words like saudade, fofo or desabafar, which or awesome for describing the feelings themselves. At least you and I get the best of both worlds studying both languages :D

Something I found really useful for pronunciation is studying minimal pairs / IPA. Here is a link to what I used for Portuguese but the English version: https://blog.fluent-forever.com/english-ga-resources/ (bare in mind this is for American English – I know a lot of Brazilians are horrified when they come to Australia and can’t understand anything we say because they’ve learnt British/American English and didn’t know Australian’s technically speak an entirely different dialect). Dunno if it’s your style but maybe it’d help.

That is pretty embarrassing but I thought the capital was Rio and not Brasilia so I can’t talk… :p

Hopefully once I move to a place with better internet we can organise a skype lesson some day (if you have the spaces available).

Cheers,

Joel.

• RenatoRenato

Yes, Brazilians usually thank 137 times when there is enough time for this. Hahaha
      Thanks for the link for minimum pairs. I practiced this in the past with an American teacher and he said that I did very well. The problem is that when I start speaking English I forget everything and I end up making a mess.
      I have a student from Australia and I’m getting used to Australian English. It’s a bit different, but I don’t think it’s hard to understand. Maybe it’s harder for him to understand me.

That is pretty embarrassing but I thought the capital was Rio and not Brasilia so I can’t talk… :p

It happens even in the best families.

Hopefully once I move to a place with better internet we can organise a skype lesson some day (if you have the spaces available).

It would be a pleasure.

Cheers,
      Renato.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.