Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Renato, I don’t understand fully the reference to Charlie Chaplin in this song.
      I understand it was a protest song, calling for amnesty of the exiled artists.
      Where does Charlie Chaplin fit in ?
      Tom Gore

Participant

Now I see that the melody is similar to “Smile” but is there more to it than that ?
      Does it relate to his move about “The Dictator” ?

• RenatoRenato
      Keymaster

Hi Thomas,
      Yes, the melody and also the first chord progression are similar. Charles Chaplin died in December, 1977. During Christmas that year João Bosco felt the desire to create a song that was a tribute to the actor and started to create a samba that resembled the song Smile, which was part of the soundtrack of the film Modern Times, and asked Aldir Blanc to create the lyrics. Charles Chaplin was known in Brazil as Carlitos. There is a part in the lyrics where Aldir wrote: E um bêbado com chapéu coco me lembrou Carlitos (A drunk with a bowler hat reminded me Carlitos).

There are many references in the lyrics to things that happened during the dictatorship and the hard times that people were facing. But it would require a lot of time to talk about all this.

Participant

Thank you

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.